Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Grandma and Grandpa Lemons

Anyone who knows me, knows that I absolutely adore my Grandma and Grandpa. For starters, they are the only grandparents I knew, since my father was adopted. Secondly, they were/are my constant. I've always been able to count on them regardless of what is going on in my life. When I go to their house, nothing has changed. Well, they, of course, are getting up in years. Because they've always been so important to me, I've tried to visit at least once a year. I want the kids to know them and I want to spend what time I can with them. The last time I visited was on our way here last July.

When I found out that their closest friend had died and they had no plans to attend the funeral, I realized I needed to get out there again. I knew I needed to either a) get them to the funeral somehow or b) attend in their honor and show respects for them. Although his death was expected, it is always sad. The really neat thing was that he was my grandfather's lifelong best friend. They were in the Army Air Corp and then the Air Force together. He was a pilot (my grandpa was a paratrooper then a navigator) and very proud of his Air Force career. So his funeral was extremely patriotic. At the prayer service, they had the Air Force emblem on the top inside of his casket and his flight jacket was hanging next to him. His grandchildren had made a photo collage of his life and much of it had pictures of his military career. Then the actual funeral was at Fort Biggs Army base, but an Air Force Honor Guard came out to perform the ceremony and it was so beautiful. It was exactly what it should be. It showed honor and respect to a good man. It also made me so proud of my Air Force heritage. I was so glad I went!

While there, I realized that alot has changed in the several months since I had seen my grandparents. They like to appear so stoic and self sufficient over the phone. But they are in need of more help than they want to admit. Not to mention the fact, that as I watch this deterioration, I realize even more how badly I want to spend time with them while I have it! So Brian and I made the decision that I will be travelling to El Paso every 2-3 months. It really is a dreadful drive, so if anyone has any suggestions of good books or talks on tape--I'm open. LOL Although the frequent trips may be trying and seem like a chore at times, I realize how truly blessed I am to be an adult with children and still have my grandparents in my life--for however short time that may be. I am very thankful for that!!

No comments: