Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Layla--you've got me on my knees (literally)!!!

Well, we didn't wait long to make that other addition to our family and she is definitely wearing me down. Zach was so disheartened from his experience with JP. His best friend basically turned on him and it broke his heart. He spent days where he broke into tears easily. It was really difficult for us all to watch.
We had promised him a "better" dog. We explained that some dogs are more "kid friendly" and we hadn't done enough research with JP. So Brian and I promptly started surfing the dog rescue sites. Researching and sticking to breeds that we knew were traditionally good with children and families. We prefer rescue dogs for obvious reasons, why go to a breeder when there are great dogs in dire need of a good home. We had also determined that we wanted a young enough dog to bond with the entire family. Not necessarily a tiny puppy--but young.
Within a week, we found Layla. She is a 9 month old (65 lb!) purebred Yellow Lab that was at a Great Dane rescue, no less. Her foster mom let us know that she is 100% love but lacked training so we had our work cut out for us--boy do we!! The other thing I didn't realize was all the paperwork involved in rescuing a dog. It was like we were adopting a child from China. You actually have to be approved!! Pretty funny! Obviously, we were, and Layla has become a great addition to our home. The kids love her and vice versa.
Layla is a typical lab--chew, chew, chew. But at the same time she loves and is loyal to a fault (if that is possible). As I was telling my mom earlier this week, I've never owned such a loving and rewarding dog. Yet, at the same time, I've never owned such a difficult dog with so many habits that need breaking. We can tell, that with time, she will be a great addition to our family and someone we can't live without. For now, I think I have another Marley reincarnated! So much for my beautiful new home...

No comments: