Monday, April 27, 2009

Swine Flu in Texas!


Yes, our little town of Cibolo has made national news. It appears that there have been 3 confirmed cases of Swine flu at our local high school with multiple potential cases throughout the district. Apparently, there has been a very high absentee rate, most just assuming they had the flu. Now they think all those students actually may have had the Swine flu, but once they are better, they can't test them. National news coverage lists it as a suburb of San Antonio. Very little lists the town name or our high school name (Byron P. Steele), except local news coverage.
By recommendation of the Texas State health department in coordination with the CDC, they've decided to close all schools in the district for at least a week. They also closed the public library, all city parks, churches, etc. They've recommended we basically keep the kids at home and stay out of large social gatherings. I was talking with a friend on Facebook this morning and he said it's like a movie. He's right, it's almost surreal.
Suffice it to say, I won't be working this week and am currently trying to find ways to keep the kids entertained. We have a membership to one of the local museums that we would normally attend with time off like this. But it sounds like we probably shouldn't go there either. To top it all off, it's raining! :) I've gone against my typical "mom" instinct and am letting them ride thier scooters and bikes in the rain right now. It's driving the dog crazy! But they are having a blast. So much for my freshly mopped wood floors! LOL
As far as the Swine Flu scare goes, I'm honestly not too scared. I don't know if I'm too optomistic, but nobody in the U.S. has died and everyone seems to recover just as from the normal flu. My uneducated thought is that Mexico is having so many problems with it b/c of it's poorer hygiene and immune systems. I do realize, though, that there is a significant immunocompromised population in the U.S. (i.e. elderly, small babies, cancer patients, etc) that, if exposed would present a greater problem. Obviously it needs to be contained for that reason. It is also clearly highly contagious, which is scary! The good news, for us, so far is that the Swine flu apparently has a very quick incubation period and nobody here is sick (knock on wood!).
For now we will just continue to count our blessings and pray for those around us that this may not become any worse than it already is!













2 comments:

missykroll said...

This reminds so much of when my little town of Concord California made national news back in the 90's when a senior day at the local waterpark became deadly when a few students rushed a lifeguard at the tall water ride, and began pancakeing themselves in the tube, well it couldn't hold the combined weight of them all in one section so it broke apart and about 12 students fell 3 stories. Really sad and scary, but it was weird when all of a sudden CONCORD CA became really well known for its 5min of fame.

Anyway, yes, I wouldnt be worried about this silly flu on up here, but I AM nervous because of my 3week newborn Melody. I hope you truly enjoy your kids this week. Oh, I know an activity you can do, do a photoshoot day where they have to come up with ideas of clothing/outfits/costumes to represent all the months. July: Red white and blue, April-Easter ears and eggs etc.....you can have a lot of fun with it, and then make a family calendar with the kids pictures being the focus of that month! Perfect rainy day activity....have fun!

Lanna said...

I just got back from a visit to the pediatrician for Maeryn's two-year mark. The doctor brought it up and said the media was hyping it up to be much more than it is. I agreed with him. It must be a slow news week. OK, so it is serious, but the flu sickens millions of people every year, and yes, some do die from it. What makes this one so special?
Enjoy the at-home time with the kids. Why not get them involved in the kitchen. :)