Thursday, April 16, 2009

TEA Party

On tax day, I attended San Antonio's TEA Party. It was quite an event! I have to admit that I was drawn in by the celebreties as much as I was the cause. (Yes, I know that's pitiful!) Glen Beck and Ted Nugent were at this TEA Party. Ted Nugent did some incredible renditions of the National Anthem on his guitar. And Glen Beck, true to form, tried to make it a bipartisan event. (Although it clearly wasn't) I enjoyed what he had to say.
I revelled in the patriotism with the American flags waving and people cheering the National Anthem. I absolutely loved the fact that it was so peaceful. Organizers expected 5-10 thousand people. The police and EMTs sent enough support for 5 thousand, not expecting it to get bigger than that. I spoke with organizers shortly after the Glen Beck show who said over 15 thousand showed up. There were no problems though, even with lack of police support. That does say alot. I love that it was an historical representation of the people speaking out. That is one of our constitutional rights, and done peacefully, SHOULD happen when ever anyone feels strongly enough about a cause. I do agree with much of what was being said and some of the original reasons for forming the TEA party.

However, personally, I felt that once the TEA party itself was under way, it seemed to digress and really become a very right wing anti-Obama event. Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am not an Obama supporter by any means. It just seemed that the entire thing morphed into something other than what it was originally intended to be. That was just my opinion. I guess that is bound to happen when you get that many people with that many strong feelings about something together. Lets admit it, the majority of the people there were conservatives. As much as they toted this as bipartisan, it wasn't. By the end of the evening that fact was clearly evident.
With all of that being said, I am extremely happy that I attended. I feel it was an historic event--particularly taking place at the Alamo. We'll just have to see if the message got through to anyone!

1 comment:

Lanna said...

I thought about going to one, but ended up recovering from all the company finally leaving. If you want a thought-stimulating read, try Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. Reading that is like reading a page out of today's newspapers. I think Obama should change his name to Wesley Mouch. Read the book and you'll understand!