Saturday, August 2, 2008

Early attempts at decorating

So here it is, the furniture we bought for the great room. As I said before, it isn't enough of a contrast with the floor, but I love the sofas. They are a super soft thick Italian leather (Natuzzi if furniture brands mean anything). We definitely need some accents to bring more color in and lighten it up a bit! As you can see, a child had some body part on the couch just before I took the pic. This is a good full-on view of the sofa. The loveseat, just to the right of it, is exactly the same but one cushion less.
The throw over the loveseat is one of the colors I'm trying to bring in. We actually have a Natuzzi microsuede accent chair on order that is almost the color of the throw, maybe a little richer. Luckily, they found one the color we wanted in Arizona. Otherwise we would be waiting 5 months for it to come from Italy. We might have chosen something else at that point.

The shag area rug is another attempt at lightening it up, but I think I bought it too small. It's a 5' by 8' rug, which I thought would be plenty, but the room kind of swallows it up. It will do for now.
The lightings not good here (and has our goofy dog), but shows the fireplace with the sofas. Note all of the pictures and nic-nacs stacked on and around the fireplace. I have yet to hang a thing!
Here's a good view of the picture windows. My thought is to place a rod just below the top windows and make some drapes (yes, I can sew) to come all the way to the floor. I want some cool print/stripe/pattern encorporating all the colors and then make some throw pillows to match the drapes. I think that is a project for after the kids go back to school!
Here is our cute little end table with inlaid stone. I thought it would look nice with the stone fireplace. We bought two of them. One will sit by the accent chair.
Well, that's it so far. My meager attempts at decorating! Hopefully it comes together!!

5 comments:

Lanna said...

Those couches are calling out to me. They're saying, It's naptime! And I love the table. Very cool stuff.

Anonymous said...

Great sofas! I also love the table top! Beeuuutiifuulllll! Throw some art on the walls, accent pillows on the couches, and you'll be done. I like the simplicity of decorating a room, especially one with such great windows!!! Looks great!

Have fun!

Caryl said...

Thanks! Now getting the right art and pillows--that's the hard part!

Suzie said...

I love the rug, it brightens up your room which is AWESOME! I think you are a fine decorator. Besides - the love in your home can brighten any color furniture!

Cook Family said...

I love Natuzzi couches. My parents have some and I am so comfortable when I sit in them. I hope to get some someday.

We miss you. I am happy you are having fun decorating your new place.

Lanna will have the same fun in a short while.