Sunday, July 27, 2008

Remember the Alamo

Figuring a little local history could be good for the family, we visited the Alamo on Friday. It was much more interesting than I expected! Lots of history--not just Texas, but American. The kids really enjoyed it as well. Then we went to the Riverwalk for lunch. As we were passing through the Hyatt, someone (we'll call him a bodysnatcher) flagged us down and talked us (that would be me) into sitting through a 2 hour (he said 90 minute) presentation for timeshares. The toughest part for me was what a hard sale the guy pushed at the end. It was like we were at a used car dealership. We'd say NO and he'd come back with a different offer. He finally said "Well how much of a down payment would you be comfortable with?" When I told him $20, he started to get the idea that we were not buying anything. I hate being pressured like that and it put me in a bad mood for the day. The kicker of it is that it was MY idea to listen to it. So Brian was showing me little sympathy. We did get $100 and 2 free river boat tickets.
Yesterday was much better! We had some friends over to BBQ and Brian, of course, put on an incredible spread. These friends live on the other side of San Antonio so we haven't seen them alot. But we have such history with them and basically, all working at the same restaurant, started dating our significant others at the same time--over 14 years ago. It's always fun reminiscing! I also learned a couple new card games and didn't do too poorly (won!) if I do say so myself. It sure beats sitting through a pushy sales presentation the day before!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that it is great that you are exposing the cuties to the history around you. That is one of the great things about being here too, the fact that there is so much to see and do!

Good job handling the pushy salesman! At least there was a bonus for your "efforts"!

Cook Family said...

Trevor and I just got back from Palm Desert where we got to stay at the Marriott Shadow Ridge for a ridiculous rate. The catch was we had to sit through a timeshare presentation. 90 minutes turned into four hours and we were getting tossed back and forth from one sales guy to the next. We were spent.

After they practically called us idiots for wanting an RV instead and for not taking them up on this wonderful-never-less-low-again price, we finally said, "We can't afford it."

That got them to buckle and they finally let us go, but not before seeing a third person.

PS-we miss you and we're glad you're doing well in Texas.

Caryl said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only "sucker." LOL I miss you all too! Thanks for keeping in touch!