Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Am I Crazy!?
In my attempts to have the greatest summer with the kids, I daily scour the paper for events and happenings. Well, yesterday's paper talked about a meteor shower that would be visible to the naked eye at 3 am. Knowing Zach is totally into space and science, I ran it by him. He was all over the idea and the girls quickly jumped on board--that is after we explained to them that the meteors would not land on them. What resulted was a slumber party in my bedroom (Brian is still in Seattle) with my alarm set for 3 am. Like most slumber parties, we got to sleep much later than we should have--close to midnight. Surprisingly, when the alarm went off, every child jumped up and was ready to view the meteor shower. We moved the chairs to the uncovered portion of the patio pointed in the right direction and stared up at the sky. One thing I have noticed about Texas, the nights are just beautiful!! In the beginning, we could see so many stars and there was a beautiful light breeze. It was really quite enjoyable. Zach and I both saw a couple meteors--much like shooting stars across the sky. Then the clouds moved in. The paper had promised 50-60 meteor showers an hour, but with no cloud break in sight, we gave up the fight around 3:40. Of course, everyone had a difficult time getting back to sleep and woke up at their normal time. So I foresee this as a fun day! (note the bit of sarcasm) But, all in all, it really was fun--crazy yes--but fun!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
What a cool mama!! I remember doing that kind of thing with my dad and thinking back now at how special it was to have that experience. I still take all the chances I get to check out the night sky happenings! Naps for everyone!!
I love that you are having all kinds of fun and adventures with your family!
Those are the memories of the "good ol days" when your kids are older! You are a great mom!
Post a Comment